8/03/2012

running the long run

I just got back from my longest run yet, and whilst tackling it I decided it was probably time I start focusing more posts on running. So I'm going to report this run slightly differently than a quick garmin shot.


Its abit of a ramble I'm afraid, and I thought I'd break the ice with a little 'running by numbers' . . .


But first, obligatory garmin shot!
  • Miles Run: 8
  • Minutes: 1.17.07.96
  • Average Pace: 9:38min/mile
  • Calories Burnt: 850kcal
  • Weight used in body pump class prior run: 18kg for squats, 13kg for lunges
  • Number of playlists to get me through: 2
  • Number of 'snacks' to get me through: 2
  • Number of times I had to battle self doubt: 3 (mile one, mile two, and mile four)
  • Number of times I worried about knee pain: 3 (eek, get stretching girl!)
  • Number of minute spent thinking about post-run refuelling options: 1.17.00.00 (I jest, more like 15 . . . )
  • Number of other runners spotted: 1 (poor show guys!)
  • Number of old people I nearly ran over: 3 (wasn't my fault)
  • Number of black cats spotted: 2
  • Number of dog poo's I may have stepped in: 1
  • Number of slugs and snails I hopped over: at least 200 (is it strange I am more concerned about slugs than dog poo?)
  • Pace for last 0.2 miles: 8.02-8.30min/mile (woohoo! I felt super good finishing!)
  • How I felt when completed: a million dollars! (cheeeeese!)
  • Confidence level in completing the half-marathon: 85%
  •  Number of minutes in rag doll post-run: 5 (I know your supposed to do a minute for every mile but come on who has the patience for that!)




Right,  now lets back track a little to explain my 6 tactics to tackle long runs that are helping my love for distance running to grow  . . .

1. Get over use to the 'bordeom' mental challenge of distance running


Pinned Image

When I first started distance running, I couldn't get along with that inner self-doubt inside my head, and honestly found it mind-numbingly boring. The first few miles are always the hardest, as the distance seems so daunting there is a voice just telling me I can't do it.

I have come up with a strategy that is working for me so far - think about the numbers. No, not the miles or pace times - they are the last thing i want to think about! I hate looking at my garmin mid run and seeing how slowly the miles are going; aside from being a pain to keep looking at it, can be so disheartening. Instead I count other things, for example the things I included in today's running by numbers! It distracts your mind while keeping you interested, if that makes sense! Try it and see if you get what I mean!

 

2. Split your (first) long run


Today's workout schedule was an 8 mile run and an 'easy' body pump class (on  Thursday's I tend to scale back my body pump leg weights to accommodate my heavier running schedule at this time off the week.) I planned to run 5 miles to the gym, do the body pump class, then finish off the last three miles on the treadmill.

Let me explain. Because I have a little longer in my lead up to the half-marathon, I am able to repeat some weeks of training to  increase my mileage as gradually as possible. When I tackled my first 6-miler two weeks ago, I split it into a 4 mile and 2 mile run with a short break in between (it just happened to work for my schedule that day.) Last week on my second 6-miler, I completed it non-stop. Ive read its fine to split your mileage as long as you get it done, but I am conscious to still tackle these distances in one go to bolster my confidence in distance running.

I did the same today, except I was running late and didn't manage to do 5 miles before body pump as I intended. I ended up running 5 miles home, stopping for a quick break to unload some of the things clattering in my pocket I didn't need, before completing the final three miles. Next week, I'll do my 8 mile run in one go.


3. Think positive, and break your run into manageable sections



Pinned Image


When I first realised I wasn't going to be able to split my run around body pump, a sense of imminent failure crossed my mind. How could I possibly run 8 miles for the first time after a body pump class? Impossible, right?

Wrong, but it took alot of positive thinking to get me there. I thought to myself,
  • 'you've done six miles before, of course you can do it.'
  • 'you don't have a choice but to get it done today!'
  • 'this is your first challenge of real distance running, if you wuss out on this, what is your hope for 13.1?'
  • and lots of 'you are stronger than you think' and 'you can do it!'
As always, the first few miles were the hardest. This was literally the case today, the first mile was completely uphill. Oh how my legs did not want to be running. But I told myself, 'you can at least get home. If you feel terrible then, give up, fine. But you got to get home anyway so might as well push through this and warm-up, its less than 5 miles home, piece of cake, you might even start enjoying it'

And that I did. After the first mile, it was pretty flat/down-hill the rest of the way. I even did bit extra when I got near home to round it up to five miles. . . three miles left seemed ALOT easier to tackle than thinking I was only half way there!

 


4. Remember the distance you've got to go, and start slow



Pinned Image


I am a big believer and looking for the silver lining, and this happened today on my run in some major ways. Although it was initially a major spanner in the works when I realised I would be running 8 miles after body pump, it actually helped me start off slow which gave me the endurance to finish the 8 miles! Think positive guys!



5. Make music your friend



On another note of looking for the silver lining, I realised in my mad rush to get to class on time I hadn't actually put my new playlist on my iPod. My instant reaction was to blow the run off, how could I run without music I was looking forward to?

In the end, it worked out for the better. I looked for the silver lining and convinced myself this way was better, I could use my slow/recovery run playlist to help me cruise home, and then load up my new playlist as the perfect motivation to get me through my last three miles. Think with an open mind, and your mistakes can be turned into positives. This is why I listened to 2 playlists on today's run, and it worked for me. . .  it helped me start slow and finish strong.

 

6. Don't forget about fuelling






I knew I was planning on doing a long run today, and a pre-run snack( a slice of peanut butter and banana on toast) just before I left for the gym, an hour and a half before i started running. It was fine body-pumping on a digesting stomach, as is pretty stationary until track 7 (hi jump squats!).

I had been reading up on fuelling for longer distances, and wouldn't have really needed to today if I hadn't done body pump right before my 8 miles. I am planning on talking about in-run fuelling in a later post, but because I had already been exercising for an hour and 45 mins, I grabbed a Gatorade to replace fluids and electrolytes with a dose of quick digesting carbs to get me through my last 3.5 miles.

I had planned to drink this, sync my new playlist and hit the road again asap, but ended up chatting to my bro and before I knew it 30mins had passed. I nearly considered blowing off the last three miles but quickly told myself I could do it, so I grabbed a fruit Ryevita before heading out the door. I don't know if it was the actual fuel these 'treats' provided or merely the psychological benefit, but I definitely felt good for having them! I managed to finish strong and up my pace at the end. Because if this strong finish, I am looking forward to taking on 8 miles non stop next week.





Pinned Image



The mental aspect of distance running is one of the most challenging for me. To many seasoned runners, 8 miles wouldn't be considered a 'long' run. But for me, it is. Despite my pretty solid running base, I always have kept my runs to 3-4miles, and only run 5 miles a couple of times before starting training. Still, I looked forward to being capable of distance running and figured I would love the long, slow runs to zone out and get inside my brain. I felt confident in my ability to do it, and excited to try.

Once I actually started running longer regularly, I initially hated it. I found it difficult - The four, five and six mile runs were close enough to my 'comfort' running distance that I felt a pressure to maintain certain paces and times I had told myself I could meet. I was disappointed and disheartened when I couldn't. While I was really happy with the pace I maintained for last week's 6 miler, I had to confront these expectations today.

8 miles was the first 'long run' for me as it seemed so out of my ability. I wanted to take it easy, go slow and ignore my pace - the last thing I wanted was to either fail the run or give myself an injury. They say to increase either distance or speed at a time, and I am trying to keep that in mind right now. As I get into these next few weeks, I need to drop any expectations to meet certain paces for such an extended period of time I am just not use to. I need to resist the urge to compare myself to others; we are all different and at different stages of our various journeys. So while today's time and pace probably aren't amazing, for me I am proud of my ability to overcome this need to try and match some illusions ideal and just get used to the many mental challenges of distance running. For this reason alone, today's run was a resounding success.




Pinned Image



That's enough rambling from me! Off to do some late night yoga to try to prevent any soreness tomorrow! Planning to do savasana in bed at the end until I fall asleep! Bliss!




What are your strategies for tackling long distance runs? Let me know if you try any of mine out and they work for you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts?!