7/27/2012

all about tempo runs


Seems as this blog is supposed to be tracking my marathon training, I decided I better post a bit more about the training that I am doing!
 I am planning and doing Friday’s scheduled tempo run just after posting this so this seemed like a great place to start!
 
 
What is a tempo run?
 
 
A tempo run is running steadily at your ‘tempo race’ for a steady period. To garner the benefits, you've got to put in enough time at the right intensity – it should be a challenging but manageable pace that takes some concentration to hold. These four methods can help you find your tempo pace:
  • Recent Race: Add 30 to 40 seconds to your current 5-K pace or 15 to 20 seconds to your 10-K pace
  • Heart Rate: 85 to 90 percent of your maximum heart rate
  • Perceived Exertion: An 8 on a 1-to-10 scale (a comfortable effort would be a 5; racing would be close to a 10)
  • Talk Test: A question like "Pace okay?" should be possible, but conversation won't be.
  
Why do I tempo run?
 
 

  
Tempo runs are an excellent way for runners to build speed, strength, endurance and to develop their lactate threshold, which is critical for running faster over a distance. They provide benefits for all runners, whether novice of veteran.
 
They teach the body to use oxygen for metabolism more efficiently by increasing your lactate threshold (the point at which the body fatigues at a certain pace). It is pretty science-ey, but basically tempo runs push your "threshold”, so muscles get use to the lactate and hydrogen ions that are released which make the muscles acidic and lead to fatigue. By pushing your body out of its comfort zone, your muscles develop a new "threshold”, which means you run farther and faster.
 
Tempo runs also a useful to get use to the mental challenge of starting out a distance conservatively with the intention of finishing strong.  


How do I do a tempo run?
   
Tempo runs can be structured or unstructured:
    
  • Structured tempo runs provide a strict plan to follow that will really stretch and challenge you, useful for on a treadmill where keeping up a pace for a specific period is stricter! For pre-made tempo runs, check out here and here.)
  •  Unstructured tempo runs allow us to set time increments/distances and be flexible depending on how your body feels. I tend to run unstructured tempo runs when I am running for longer (over 30 mins) and when I’m running outside and only have Garmin as guide. Unstructured tempo run is flexible to tailor to how you feel that day (remember, every day is different!) If you’re feeling good, maintain those faster paces for longer!

My tempo runs go a little something like this. I select the duration depending on how long my tempo run is scheduled for and how my body is feeling.
  • Stage 1 - 9.30 min/mile for 5 minutes
  • Stage 2- 9 min/mile for 5 minutes
  • Stage 3- 8.30 min/mile for 10 minutes  
  • Stage 4 – 8 min/mile for 10 minutes  
  
Remember this is just a guide, need to adapt it to your own ability and your increasing ability as you progress. this is mine where I am at now (be interesting to see my paces in a months’ time!) stage 1 and 2 should feel forcefully slower than your 'natural pace' - this is hard but gets you into practise of starting slow and reserving energy to finish strong! stage 3 should be your 'natural' or happy pace (definitely a good strong pace, but what you can maintain for at least 30 minutes on a normal run) stage 4 is supposed to be a challenge to maintain (and this is where your speed and lactic acid threshold improve) but should not be a 'sprint' or maximum pace, as you need to maintain it for at least 5 minutes with good form, to avoid injury.
My feelings about tempo running...
My feelings towards a tempo run go through a roller coaster of emotions every single time! Actually, it’s the same pattern as my feelings towards rollercoasters!!
  
  • Beforehand, I always look forward to a tempo run, like really look forward to it - it is probably my favourite run all week! I am always excited and happy when I am lacing up my trainers. (This could be likened to the anticipation of going on a roller coaster....)  

  • I see stage 1 as a  warm-up that is included in the run (i.e. saving time) so I am feeling pretty efficient - a feeling I love! (When I first get to the queue and am feeling smart for getting to the park early and dodging a huge queue!)

  • In stage 2, the pace feels forced and downright torturous! I try to remember why I am doing this! (When I realise the 'small' queue actually snakes around ridiculously and I am waiting for aaaages!)

  • Stage 3; 'Ooooh yeah!' As I get to a pace I enjoy, I start to cheer up and feel good about the run. (Front of the queue/getting on the ride...)

  • 'Wooo!' stage 4 feels good and challenging, I can tell this is going to be a worthwhile workout (First few drops & loop-de-loops...)  Towards the end, maintaining it becomes harder and a little uncomfortable. Remind self can't quit now, not long to go, this is the challenge that makes it worth it in the end! (Coming up to the big final drops of the coaster, asking why the hell did I come on this!)

  • Afterwards is when I most enjoy it. I feel accomplished, and in my next few runs can see the improvement in my running ability (trust me on this one!! It works!) I get excited for my next tempo run, and the cycle begins again.....

Hints and tips
  

  • Get your paces right! doing a tempo run incorrectly greatly compromises its training benefits. This is the most important aspect of tempo running so pay attention to it!

  • Resist the urge to speed up! At this point, I struggle with feeling unnaturally slow. But stick with it, and remember why you are doing it!! Remind yourself you've got more stages of faster running to come, that need to be maintained for a good period. If you succumb to the urge to running faster in stage 2, it is unlikely you'll be able to successfully complete the tempo run and increase your speed and hold it. A failed tempo run = a failed workout, we don’t get the benefits and have to wait a whole week to do another!  
  • Don't overdo the tempo runs! When distance training I do one so I can include all the other runs I need to (long run, speed runs, easy runs etc). Don't tempo run day in, day out - it is recommended that 95% of your training runs are at a moderate pace, so tempo/speed runs should contribute to only 5% of your training and they should always be scheduled between easy runs/rest days. Depending on your running ability and goals you may want to increase frequency to once a week as leading up to tapering period. For half-marathon training, longer tempo runs of six to eight miles are recommended in their peak training weeks. For shorter distances and general fitness, 15-20 minutes of tempo pace running is enough to get benefits from it!

  •  Remember to cool down! Tempo runs finish with a long period of running at a fast pace. You need to include a cool down jog and then some stretches afterwards!!!
  
I hope this was helpful! So tell me, do you tempo run? What are your feelings towards them? How do you survive them?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts?!