7/22/2012

why an apple a day? (my blogging story!)


Kind of felt for a while that I should probably explain the name of this blog, seems as it doesn't exactly match the content right now! While I do tend to eat an apple a day (to keep the doctor away!) There is abit more to it than that! Here goes...


My first venture into blogging was in 2010, as i attempted to document my study abroad year in Charleston, South Carolina. I soon found out, study abroad year's were no time to begin blogging (precisely for the lack of time afford to devote to said blog) I sporadically made attempts to salvage the failing attempt of a travel journal, posting photo recaps of trips and shenanigans (words and details were far to time consuming...)


 It was a paltry attempt. Looking back, I do wish i had kept it up and had something to reflect back on now, but I guess there's something to be said for being a Brit in the US and living in the moment...




14 posts in a year... lol


I started Andrea's Apple A Day in Autumn 2011, after feeling overwhelmingly inspired in a body pump class to taky my own stab at sharing my love of health and wellness in the blogosphere. I was an avid blog reader (and a talkaholic) so why not? Seemed like a match made in heaven. Initially I intended to adopt a food-diary style blog, with other bits and pieces sprinkled in.

My concept was a food diary based around 'my apple a day', to show how healthy eating can be fun, varied and most of all delicious!  (I am also a sucker for old wives-tales and superstitions and I couldn't resist the charm of  the alliteration!)


I already recorded my daily eats on a photo-diary on my phone, so how hard could it be to turn this into a food-diary blog? Right....? Right!

Well, turns out its a lot harder than I thought! I guess I don't have the patience for making all my eats photo-worthy... I was always too hungry to style the picture, and couldn't handle my food going cold. My meals in general aren't very visually appealing, I didn't have a swanky camera, and I tend to eat Bibimbap style.




Needless to say, I didn't keep it up for long! It didn't offer anything rewarding and I can't imagine why anyone else would have been interested in it. Not to mention, for me, it seemed abit too self-centred, and obsessing over what I ate to that extent seemed to veer towards an unhealthy fixation.


I still had not burnt out my urge to blog. I loved reading them so much, and really wanted to stick to it (plus, the benefits of blogging sounded good to me!) After finishing uni and deciding to train for the half-marathon, i decided to give it another go.


Primarily I see it as a great way for me to collect my thoughts, document my journey and motivate myself. For me, blogging fills the void uni left behind and keeps my brain active, while allowing me to develop my main passion in life.




I kept the same name as I didn't know how long this attempt would last, but I finally feel like I am finding my groove. I love promoting health and wellness to anyone who will listen to me in real life, and I guess I see this foray as an extension of that.

 
I am attempting to share useful information; honest reviews of products, services, and places, well-informed advice that resonates with me in the hope that is of use, interest or inspiration to someone else.  I guess you could say it is a daily bite of my healthy life... in the hopes of sharing with others how easy, enjoyable and worthwhile healthy eating and living is!


Pinned Image

 
While I am no professional, I have experienced the ups and downs of a my pursuit of a healthy balance firsthand.  I can relate to pretty much every obstacle to a fit and active lifestyle, and aim to reduce the intimidation of these for others through honest and candid discussion. I hope that sharing my experience can help encourage others, however far along there journey they are.


So there you go! This is a place for me to express my enthusiasm for a fit and healthy life!


 I am hoping to expand the content back towards food, recipes and healthy eating as soon as I find the time to get back in the kitchen, but for now, I am going to focus on the stuff that food is fuelling me for... eat to live, not live to eat right?!



Pinned Image

So tell me, what is the meaning behind your blog name? Why do you blog, and did you experience bumps in your path to blogging?


No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts?!