7/03/2012

my favourite meal of the day


As well as the most important, breakfast is definitely my favourite meal of the day. I could probably eat breakfast for every meal of the day


Breakfast is usually my biggest, most calorie-dense meal most days. I find eating a nutritionally balanced, big breakfast with healthy fats and 'treats' add-ins helps control my appetite throughout the day. Its really important for me to start the day of right with a nourishing breakfast full of good-for-me foods and antioxidants; it sets me up for a healthy day of being good to my body.

I think of all my meals in terms of the nutrients first, and play around with it from there. This means I always get something different and delish, that is still nutritionally balanced. I  aim for a serving- 1.5 serving of carbs (i.e. 1/2cup oats, 2 cups dry cereal, 2 slices toast) 2 servings of fruit and a serving of healthy fats (1-2 tbsp). I aim for some protein, from milk/cottage cheese add-in, but as I tend to exercise mid morning I usually wait and have a serving of protein as a mid-morning snack to aid muscle repair and recovery.


Here are some of my favourite breakfast options...

Porridge



My go-to breakfast that I eat most days. Now I have finally mastered how to prevent overspills in the microwave, its a relatively quick breakfast that is worth a few minutes wait. I normally have half a banana and cinnamon mixed in as my base, and then mix it up with whatever I have on hand; other fruit, berries, nuts, nut butters, seeds, jam, granola, cottage cheese... I've even been known to pop a poached egg in there! (without banana and cinnamon of course!)

Cereal




I rarely just have a 'plain' bowl of cereal. I like banana, berries and nuts as a base, but have been known to go crazy with granola, dried fruit, cacao nibs and whatever else I can get my hands on. A quicker breakfast for when I am in a rush, or if I'm in the mood for milk.

PB & Banana on Toast



This is my go to breakfast when I am running mid-morning (if i run first thing, i eat a few dates pre-run and then have breakfast afterwards). Quick, easy to digest and delicious. I have a glass of ice coffee with this breakfast as I am exercising post-digestion. By having my pb on toast fix in the morning I am less likely to crave it late on in the day!

Smoothie



Depending on how hungry I am and my day's scheduled workout, I will occasionally have a smoothie for breakfast. If I am having a rest day or exercising later on, I like to get a full serving of protein with my breakfast and usually turn to a smoothie to get this. My base is soy milk, half a banana, chocolate protein powder and ice. I aim to include a handful of greens and some wheatgrass for extra nutrients, but sometimes mix it up with different fruit and a vanilla protein powder. Sometimes I include flaxseed and oats to get my healthy fats and carbs, or I'll eat a slice of pb on toast or go wild and make a smoothie in a bowl.

Pancakes



When I have more time, I love to make pancakes for breakfast. I use this opportunity to get a different grain in my diet and use some kind of interesting flour like spelt or amaranth. I like to mix banana in so it goes caramelised where it touches the pan, and tend to add other fruit/berries on the side, along with  nuts/seeds/nut butters for some healthy fats.  Depending on my day's workout, I will sometimes add in some protein power, or just some yogurt on the side.

I tend to stick to 'sweet' breakfasts if I am making them at home, and choose savoury options when eating out. Maybe this is because its easiest to get a nutritionally balanced healthy meal eating savoury breakfast food when eating out? I can indulge in 'treats' I wouldn't usually have at home (pastries, hollandaise sauce...) to maximise the experience of eating out when ordering something I still feel good about eating. This brunch menu caught my eye recently, I cant wait to have an excuse to go back and eat here!

All Bar One brunch menu, click to drool enlarge

Pineapple and strawberry skewers, eggs Florentine or pain au chocolat with a skinny cappuccino, please!


Really craving some breakfast after writing this....

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts?!