7/28/2012

coffee table styling

This has been a conundrum I have faced for nearly three years. Let me explain . . .

When I was younger, I always wanted my parents to get a coffee table. I remember visits to family friends and being in awe of the centre-piece of their living room...low, sleek glass and mirror, chunky and intricately carved wood... nonchalantly sprayed with books of the most amazing pictures and littered with all sorts of interesting artifacts for me to examine.


Sadly, my parents refused. They were more side table kinda people. But my urge lived on, and grew stronger and stronger. When I moved into my own home three years ago, the living room was the first room on my to-do list.  And at the centre of my decorating ideas was a coffee table. I had chosen 'Potters Clay' for the walls, a calm neutral grey which came out quite warm and almost purple-tinged with two dove-grey patterned feature walls. I balanced it out with light and dark accents of cream and chocolate brown to add warmth. I choose a cream marble fire surround, cream light fittings and long cream curtains with a slight shimmer against chocolate brown floorboards, sofas and furniture. 



I treated myself to this framed glass table from Dwell. I loved the bold dark wood, and found a sideboard in the same tone with dark mirrored panels that matched perfectly. It was one of the first pieces of furniture I brought myself, and it made me feel like an adult. I sat it on a cream rug (which in hindsight is far to small) and that's as far as decorating went. I didn't have the time nor money to invest further in the room, and moved onto pastures new of home renovation.

Now I have more time, I want to make the most of what could be a beautiful room. I am still looking for some more pictures I want to hang (I have one, but want to get the others I would like up before I hang it), a bigger rug (or carpet... floor boards look amazing but are so un-cosy and cold in the Winter!) and some pieces to style my coffee table. Here's what I have found so far as inspiration...




















I think i definitely need some more books, a vase for fresh flowers, candles, a tray, and some other kind of ornament. Time to get shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts?!